I've put this together from a series I wrote for my social media platforms. This post is for the first half A - M
You can catch up each week on @creativeteresa for the final installments. I will also be adding N - Z on here as soon as I've finished. In most cases I have only chosen one crystal to concentrate on, do go online to find out more.
I've always been fascinated by crystals and now it makes sense that I chose to become a jeweller however I hadn't explored the healing properties of crystals until I was in my late 30s.
A for Amethyst
This series will explore a crystal each week. Let me know which crystals you wear or are drawn to.
I'll start with A for Amethyst. This beautiful crystal ranges from pale lilacs to deep purples. Amethyst are a popular stone to use in jewellery for not only their beauty.
Sources explain how this stone is a brilliant tranquilizer, it can help calm and destress, it can also sooth irritability and balance moods. The colour is associated with the crown chakra and so the physical healing properties are often associated with the mind, stabilising moods and bringing clarity.
Everyday ways that you can use crystals for healing:
- hold a crystal whilst mediating
- wear a crystal in jewellery
- place crystals in your bra, under your pillow or in your bath
- place crystals in your home, your car and in your bag
B for Blue Calcite
This beautiful crystal colours range from pale grey blues to deep petrol blue.
Blue Calcite is associated with the throat chakra and it's healing properties help to:
- aid communication and clarity of expression
- sooth and relax the emotional body
- enhance creativity especially promoting meaningful dreams
- clear negative energy
C for Citrine
Citrine is one of my favourite stones to set in jewellery designs. It's vibrant sunny yellow colour brings instant joy. This is one that will help with everything that is happening right now.
Their colours range from yellow, yellowy brown to smoky grey brown. Citrine is associated with the sacral chakra which is the centre for feelings, emotions and pleasure. Citrine helps to:
- reduce depression by imparting joy, desire, wonder and delight
- improves motivation, self expression and creativity
- raises self esteem and self confidence
A delightful crystal that everyone should have near them to let in some light.
D for Dalmatian Stone (sometimes called Dalmatian Jasper)
This playful stone ignites a childlike joy in those that use it.
Their quirky appearance come from its name and come in a range of pale grey, blue, or brownstone with black dots covering it
Dalmatian Stone is associated with the sacral chakra, the creativity centre and is known to help:
- promote a childlike playfulness
- sooth and calm the emotions, ease tension in the physical body
- promote optimism, wonder, awe and inspiration in life
This crystal is good for reconnecting to joyful feelings of childhood, before the responsibilities of general adult life takes it toll. It can ignite a spark of excitement and thirst for discovery. A lovely one to have near you especially if everything feels a bit flat, especially this year!
Try holding it and repeating the affirmation "I want to feel the lighter side of life"
E for Emerald
These take me straight back to the magic of the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. They are a beautiful vibrant green colour and known as the stone of successful love.
Emerald is associated with the heart chakra, our centre for unconditional love and is known to help:
- all matters of the heart including romance, love, friendship and loyalty
- sooth and calm the emotions of the heart
- bring about clarity, greater vision and intuition
This stone is a timeless classic, it's been used in jewellery since 1438AD by the Incas. It has certainly mesmerised people for centuries and continues to be popular today.
The emerald is certainly a precious treasure and perfect to give a loved one or receive 😍
F for Fluorite
Their colours come in waves of purple, aqua and turquoise colours, melting into one another in gentle bands. It also found with yellow and red tones.
Because of the various colours found in Fluorite it is associated with the third eye (purples), heart (greens) and throat (blues) chakras and is known to help:
- cleanse the aura and reset your energetic body
- to increase concentration, self-confidence and to make decisions
- recharge all the chakras and bring about a sense of balance and harmony
This is the perfect stone to give to anyone studying or learning new skills, one to tuck into a pocket during a test or exam. Because of its association with the throat and third eye chakras It will help to promote clear insightful communication.
G for Garnet
A stone for winter evenings by the fire. A passionate little beast.
Garnets are predominately red in colour, ranging from a pale to rich deep blood red, but they are also found in yellow, brown, green and even black.
I will be focusing on the more commonly known red variety of garnet which is associated with the base or root chakra. The root is linked with trust, survival and self preservation. It is also the place for passion, a connection to the earth and our physical body.
You can use garnet to help:
- invoke passion in relationships or to ignite a fire in your belly for a project
- increase everything to do with romantic love including of course, passion, sensuality, sexuality and intimacy
- to recharge your base chakra and increase self confidence, self awareness and even social popularity
Garnets are another timeless classic and have been used since the Bronze Age as gemstones. This is surely one to have by your bedside 😘 I imagine the wearer of garnets would light up the room like a 1950s diva!
H for Hematite (Haematite)
Hematite are mostly found in colours ranging from deep black, silver black and steel.
This stone is associated with the base or root chakra and known to be used for protection, grounding/connecting with the earth and for focus. They can also help to:
- us feel safe and secure due to their grounding properties
- find courage, strength, endurance and vitality
- stimulate concentration and focus, enhancing memory and original thought
Hematite is magnetic and helps balance the yin-yang energies, the energetic body and the physical. Use hematite to increase your self-esteem, confidence and willpower. This crystal is great at helping you stay strong if you are having trouble breaking bad habits... one for new beginnings?
I for Iolite
Iolite are known for their beautiful indigo colour. The name derives from the Greek 'ios' meaning violet. The rich purples to delicate blues have given Iolite the nickname 'Water Sapphire'. It is also known as Cordierite, Dichroite, and Indialite. This magical stone is dichroic which means that it has full colour in one direction and will appear colourless in another.
This gentle stone is associated with the crown chakra and the third eye. It is known as the stone for clear vision. It has been used for centuries for its beauty however it is also known as the Vikings Compass as they made lenses from it to help them navigate and it's still used by sailors to help them find the way home.
Iolite is a soft and gentle crystal to work with, it can help you find clearer answers when in doubt. Use Iolite to:
- connect to soul purpose
- find answers and solutions
- open up the third eye for intuition, psychic abilities and our true selves
Iolite helps us to promote self acceptance and to see more clearly, so if you are feeling a bit blue or lost with all the recent news and need a little insight for the way forward then Iolite is the crystal for you.
J for Jade
Jade is the family name given to minerals - Nephrite, a calcium magnesium silicate, and Jadeite, a sodium aluminum silicate. Jade can be made up of either or both of these minerals. Nephrite and Jadeite have different characteristics. Nephrite generally occurs in creamy white, mid- to deep olive green, brown and black. Jadeite may be a white-gray green, leafy green, blue or blue-green, emerald green, lavender, pink, red, orange, greenish-black or black and the rarer of the two minerals.
Jade has been revered across the world for centuries, it is especially precious in China where it is believed to bring good fortune, protection and harmony.
Jade comes in various colours but this post is referring to the green variety and therefore the associated chakra is the heart chakra. Jade what I'd call and all-rounder, definitely one to have in your collection. It is associated with the element Earth and sits easily into heart chakra - the place where the physical and the spiritual meet. It is a symbol of peace and serenity, it brings protections and solutions during moments of calm. Use Jade to help you:
- attract good luck in fortune, relationships and health
- soothe the mind, bring clarity and solutions to problems
- calm the emotions and be able to connect to your hearts desires, your true self
- be guided by your dreams, become insightful and ignited with ideas
Jade is perfect for letting go of negative emotions with ease and protection to call forth your true voice originating in your heart.
K for Kyanite
Kyanite is found in blue, black and green. The different colours have various healing properties but today I'm called to look at blue kyanite.
As with all blue-tone stones Kyanite is good for working with the throat chakra. Also known as Vishuddha, the throat chakra is the centre for communication.
Do you ever feel stressed and angry when trying to communicate? Does your throat feel constricted, get choked up or are you physically not able to get the words out? This crystal might be a good one for you especially if you have difficulty expressing your true feelings to a loved one or colleague. Kyanite helps you to clear your throat chakra to aid self expression and the ability to speak your truth with clarity.
Use Kyanite to help you:
- cut through fear and blockages when communicating
- communicate in difficult situations such as awkward conversations, public speaking and when performing
- speak with integrity and honesty with loved ones
- express your emotions clearly and with intent
In general Kyanite is a wonderful stone for clearing negative energy, it brings about balance and can create a calm and tranquil state.
L for Labradorite and Lapis Lazuli
Labradorite is one of my all time favourites! My protective cloak (visualisation) is made of the deep oil-slick rainbow colours found in Labradorite along with the silvery greys and subtle champagne streaks. Honestly you could get lost looking at all the colours as you gently turn your labradorite to catch the light.
Try labradorite to help you:
- protect yourself against negativity of the world
- regain energy if you have a tendency to overwork
- go with the flow in changing situations with ease
- increase your sense of self worth, will power and boost inner strength
I mainly use my labradorite for protection, I am a sensitive empath and often find myself overwhelmed with emotion and negative feelings in crowded places so this stone helps to keep me grounded and safely cocooned.
ooh, the stone of the ancients. The opulent Lapis Lazuli has been one of the most sought after stones in history (from as early as 7000BC) for it's intense blue colour. It has been used to signify abundance and power in precious artifacts and was first made into pigment by the Egyptians. When an artist used blue paint it was a sign of wealth and importance. Think of Vermeer's brilliant blues, using the costly ultramarine paint for 'Girl with a Pearl Earring' or Van Gogh's 'Starry Night' both created with crushed Lapis Lazuli.
Try using Lapis Lazuli to help you:
- work with the third eye chakra to find truth and wisdom
- clear your throat chakra for clear expression
- calm your mind to find solutions beyond the mundane and increase spiritual growth
- calm your feelings to find ways to heal or deal with emotional turmoil resulting from abuse (physical, mental and emotional)
- work with your inner child to take responsibility for your own growth and reduce blaming others
M for Malachite
I'm not sure any other stone shouts 'Gaia!' more than the beautiful malachite.
With it's flowing lines, intricate shapes and patterns and variety of vibrant verdant greens it instantly reminds me of the lush planet and all her wonders.
It's the go-to crystal to connect with the Earth. Known as a stone for transformation, Malachite is great if you need to 'turn over a new leaf'. If you are facing a change in your situation then malachite will help you to prune away anything that no longer serves you to allow for new growth.
Malachite helps you to work with the heart chakra, which is the place where the physical and the spiritual meet. Try malachite to help you:
- release unwanted belief systems or thought patterns
- connect deeply with nature and all her wonders
- increase your creative problem solving
- sooth a broken heart and allow for healing transformation
N - Z Coming Soon!